Caesar Salad is my all time favorite salad. There’s something about the tartness from the lemon, the depth of the parmesan, and the savory anchovy that makes this dressing superior to all others. If you’re like me then you probably assumed Caesar Salad is a dish with its origins in Italy, which isn’t completely false. The salad was created in Tijuana, Mexico by either Caesar Cardini or his brother Alex (there’s some confusion regarding this fact), who were Italian immigrants to the country. Traditionally, Caesar Salad is made with romaine lettuce but I opted to swap it out for Lacinato Kale, which holds up better to the dressing and chicken. If you’re a Caesar Salad lover like myself or looking for an easy scratch-made dish, definitely give this recipe a try.
For the salad:
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Anchovies, oil-packed
Pinch of Salt
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 large Egg, yolk only
1/4 cup Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated
Salt & Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
1/2 French Baguette, torn into bite size pieces
1 Tbsp Rotisserie Chicken Blend
For the chicken:
1 Tbsp Oil
2 Chicken Breasts, pounded flat
1 Tbsp Rotisserie Chicken spice blend
Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place minced garlic and anchovies on a cutting board and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. With the side of a wide blade knife, work the mixture back and forth until ingredients are fully combined and a smooth paste forms. See pictures
- In a medium mixing bowl add garlic-anchovy paste, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, egg yolks, and 2 Tbsp lemon juice, whisk until fully combined
- Slowly drizzle in oil while continuously whisking to emulsify the mixture. Work in increments if necessary. Add 3 Tbsp of freshly grated parmesan cheese and season with salt & cracked black pepper to taste.
- In another bowl, add kale and remaining lemon juice and massage for approximately one minute to tenderize the kale. Set aside
- Place torn baguette pieces on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, season with Rotisserie Chicken spice blend, drizzle 1 Tbsp of oil, and grate some cheese onto bread. Toast in the oven until golden brown.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp of oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Once fully heated, add chicken breasts and cook on each side for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through. Remove from skillet and rest.
- Add 2 Tbsp of Caesar Dressing to the kale and toss to coat. Plate salad according to taste, garnish with more dressing and grated parmesan, serve immediately and enjoy!